Winter Quinoa Salad with Colin Cowie's Vinaigrette
Wintery food sometimes feels a little heavy to me, especially when my go-to meals are spaghetti and chili! In light of that, I decided to try this quinoa salad recipe and mix things up a bit. Warning - it makes a ton so if I do it again, I'll probably cut the recipe in half. It's also pretty bland so I added Colin Cowie's vinaigrette (recipe below) to give the salad a little more flavor. My mom made this dressing a lot while I was growing up and now it's a staple in our home too. We use it as a marinade for chicken, to sauté spinach, on salads, and to add a little life to anything bland. Let me know if you try this recipe and what you think of it!
Winter Quinoa Salad
Recipe via Waiting on Martha
2 cups quinoa
4 cups butternut squash
2 Granny Smith apples, matchstick diced
1-2 cups pomegranate seeds
1 cup pumpkin seeds
Goat cheese crumbles (I used feta)
Cilantro, chopped (optional)
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. turmeric
½ cup cayenne
Olive oil or coconut oil
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. On a large, sprayed or non-stick, roasting pan lay out your butternut squash. Sprinkle with cinnamon, turmeric, cayenne, and a pinch of salt. Drizzle with olive oil and mix together so squash is well coated. If you want to add more spices, do so now. Place in oven and let roast for 10-15 minutes or until softened and cooked trough.
3. While the squash is roasting cook quinoa per directions, cover and set aside. You want the quinoa warm when you mix up the salad.
4. Once both the quinoa and squash is complete grab one large bowl or separate bowls. Add in quinoa as the base, then layer with squash, apples, pomegranate seeds, pumpkin seeds, and top with cilantro and cheese if desired.
5. Add salt taste, and if you'd like a bit of citrus oil (this is where I added the Colin Cowie vinaigrette). Enjoy!
Colin Cowie's Vinaigrette
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 Tbs dijon mustard
1 Tbs chopped green onion
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup olive oil (I use 1/2 cup olive oil and 1/2 cup walnut oil)
1. Mix all ingredients in a blender or food processor until combined. Drizzle on top of quinoa salad. Store excess in an air-tight container like this one. Shelf stable for about a month.
Photos ©Cameron Reynolds Photography, LLC.